Monday, March 31, 2008

My Personal use of what we call NCT

New communications technology has become vital and extremely impressionable upon my daily requirements. The communication of friends, family and colleagues is inevitable with the use of my trusthy companion; the mobile phone (the one item I never leave home without). Which i'm sure rings true to many of you. It has become an extremely crucial necessity for effectively maintaining regular contact. I would undoubtably consider myself a textamaholic and continually use this as a basis for keeping updated.

Another means of communication, which until now, I was using on a frequent basis, is that of instant messaging. I found and continue to find it an effective means to communicate with friends I tend to see little of. Here I maintain my privacy and speak only to contacts I wish to add. I am aware that some may use the service as a means to establish communcation with unfamiliar individuals but I consider it extremely important to uphold and maintain my confidentiality. Who is to know the nature of an individual's search for chat? Perhaps innocent banter is the reason for interaction but such naievity can at times, lead to disasterous ends. It is of my understanding that if you dont set yourself up for a fall your less likely to be confronted with one. Hence, my friends list consists only with that of friends. The use of MSN Messenger and Email on a weekly basis is an adequate amount of internet interaction for me. I find these technologies to allow me sufficient communication with the world outside my immediate without the weight of worrying. Personally, I consider the concept of MySpace quite unnerving. Upon browsing through different unknown individuals it became evident that, although monitored to a certain degree, this may be relatively dangerous. Without subconsciously realising, the personalized accounts sometimes show vulnerability. I understand you may privatize your account but i found in many instances a great deal of personal information and pictures posted just created open invitation for those we wish to deter. I find the concept of not always getting what you see very unnatural. Its considerably easy to infiltrate unsuspecting victims with the capability of metamorphising personal identity. Each to their own of course. I'm sure MySpace, when used with precausion, enables a high level of communication amongst friends. I haven't entirely erracticated the idea of me being a completely paranoid pesimist and am aware i may be flying solo in my Anti-MySpace campaigns.

I became familiar and dependant upon the internet; MSN Messenging/ Email and my mobile phone at the start of highschool. My mobile phone was instigated the first day of riding the school bus.....ALONE. My mother freaked as mother's tend to do and I was issued a mobile phone and a portable alarm box (if the box didn't grap the attention of bystanders 2km way the noise was sure to deafen the perpetrator). MSN Messenger was purely to talk to those u'd been at school all day with to gossip about what went on at school that day. Very straightforward yet enticing stuff. And email, well that was my means to send school work and check out messages from school pals during school where MSN was blocked on the servers for very good reason. Today, with a schedule making face to face contact very difficult, these communication technologies creates an extremely easy and efficient way of obtaining contact with those we deem cheerished.

No comments: